is a New York based dancer, teacher, and artist. She began her career as a classical dancer with The Boston Ballet, and now makes cross-disciplinary performance works that draw inspiration from many dance and visual art forms including, ballet and butoh. She holds a BFA in Dance from Tisch School of the Arts and an MFA from Hollins University.
As a dancer, Karol has had the privilege of performing for Misnomer Dance Theater, Cherylyn Lavagnino Dance Company, and Christopher Williams, as well as being a part of projects by Bill Young, Jose Navas, and Steven Petronio. Karol has created work with musicians including Bjork, Ryan Lott (Son Lux), Koh Ohtera, Sean Ali, Lacy Rose, Alaina Ferris, Daniel Carter, MAGIK*MAGIK, Amanda Palmer, and her husband Sxip Shirey.
Karol's collaborations with visual artists include, photographer - Steven Sebring, sculptor- Eve Bailey, architect- Marcos Zotes, stereoscopic artist- Gerald Marks, videographer- Azmi Mert Erdem, designer- Louda Larrain, and multi-disciplinary artist, Benjamin Heller.
Her work has been shown internationally as well as across New York at Carnegie Hall, Symphony Space, BAX, Ibeam, Spectrum, D.U.M.B.O Under the Bridge Arts Festival, New York Studio Gallery, Galapagos, Death By Audio, curated by AUNTS, and National Sawdust.
Karol often uses local communities in her choreography which she creates in community-inclusive performance workshops which she calls MOVEMENT BEFORE DIALOG workshops. These have taken place in San Francisco, CA to musicians of the Magik*Magik Orchestra; in Istanbul, Turkey, concerned with movement/ social movement, in Roanoke, VA and New York, NY, investigating non-verbal communication and gestures of care with hospice workers/ caregivers.
In the latest iteration of community- inclusive works, Karol is using dance to interview people in a process she developed called "MOVEMENT INTERVIEWS." She has done over 100 "MOVEMENT INTERVIEWS" of local community members, students, and choir members for the upcoming works ( Winter/Spring/ Fall 2018) by Sxip Shirey and Choral Chameleon.
Karol is a dedicated maker and teacher. Her creations are informed by her work in hospice, her studies in improvisation, butoh, authentic movement, meditation, and her belief that we move to move, and to be moved.
Karol started Red Sole Productions, LLC, a small production company for dance-based media, in 2011. She is fiscally sponsored through New York Live Arts.
Read coco's full artist statement here.
Hollins University/ Frankfurt Conservatory of Music & Performance, MFA in Dance 2015
Tisch School of the Art, BFA in Dance 2005
- Inverted Cathedral (2016/17), sculpture/dance collaboration with Benjamin Heller
- Desert Project (2016) GK Arts Center, commission by Sugar Vendil/ Nouveau Classical
- A dressing the Body, (ongoing) with Lindsay Abromaitis-Smith and her Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis
- Atropos (2015) music/dance collaboration with Mara Mayer and Marilu Donovan. Brooklyn Studios for Dance, Performance du Jour. Created with Brooklyn Contemporary Chorus and independent vocalists.
- Eternal Youth Here (2015) collaboration with Finley Christine, NY, Live music by Christopher Lancaster.
- Overtakelessness (2015) VA, workshop/ performance with Carilion Hospice Volunteers. Sponsored by Hollins University
- In/And (2014) NY, Pulltime Studio, dance/ stereoscopic collaboration with Gerald Marks
- Masks (2014) Carnegie Hall, Composer, Oliver Knusson, dance/flute duet, performed with Luna Cholong Kang, costume design by Louda Larrain
- RafmA?gnuA? NA?ttA?ra (2012) HallgrA?mskirkja Church, Iceland, Site-specific work with Marcos Zotes/UNSTABLE SPACE
- This is Just to Say (2012) Symphony Space NY, dance/ upright bass/ soprano, performers: Coco Karol, Luke Gutgsell, Lisa Dowling, and Megan Schubert; Music: Inhyun Kim
- When Insight Comes in a Dream (2011) Symphony Space NY, music: Inhyun Kim, performers: Iktus Quartet and Coco Karol
- AUNTS, I Believe In You (2008); MARKET (2009)
Curation/ The Petri Space (2006-2010) a performance space built/curated by Coco Karol
- The Wash Closet (2007), Launch Movement, Sharon Van Etten, and Gangis, Liz Raga, Clay McBride
- Hinterland (2009) Jennifer Gonzales and Coco Karol
- Forrest on Forrest (2009) Carmiel Banasky, Brittian Ashford, Nadirah Zakariah, Katheryn Love, James Andrews, Cesar Arredondo, Kelly Savage, Brian George, Chloe Douglas
Teaching: Ongoing creative movement/ improvisational inquiry at Body Actualized, Sacred Arts Research Foundation/The Ark, Otion Front Studios, Brooklyn Studios for Dance
- Gestures of Care, Virginia (2015), NY (April-June, 2016): investigating non-verbal communication, touch, and stories with hospice volunteers and caregivers.
- Breaking the Habit of Time (2016) Otion Front Studios, Brooklyn, NY
- Precious Trash (2015) Otion Front Studios, Brooklyn, NY
- Playmind Practice (2014), The Ark, Sacred Arts Research Foundation, NY
- Third Ear, (2013) sound, dance, relational body practices for MagikMagik* Orchestra, San Francisco
- Soapbox Workshops, NY (2013), Istanbul (2015): Social Movement and Performative Protest
Concert Dance/ Company Work:
- Misnomer Dance Theater, Chris Elam (2005-2012)
- Cherylyn Lavagnino Dance (2004-2009)
- Bill Young/ Christy Oa??Harris, White Space Project (2012)
- Christopher Williams, The Golden Legend, Dance Theater Workshop (2009)
- Jose Navas, Montreal (2005)
Music Videos/ Photography/ Film
- Bjork, Wanderlust (2007) Role: dancer Directors: Encyclopedia Pictura, Ghost Robot Productions
- Rhys Tivey, Empty Bed (2016) Director: Clay Haskell
- RIPPED, (2012) video for book Ripped, by Shelly Dickson Carr. Director: Coco Karol DP: Joseph Victorine, Red Sole Productions
- Beautiful Decay Magazine, (2008) Spring Issue, Man vs. Machine.
- Steven Sebring, Revolution, a??four-quarters,a?? a??Nude Descendinga?? (2013) 69th Regiment Armory, NYC
- Fellowship (2013-16) Hollins University
- Marble House Project Residency (2016)